Thursday, May 03, 2007

There is a River

13 days till the long, 21-credit semester is over. God has been faithful, He is being faithful, and I know He will be faithful as I take multiple tests and write papers during the next two weeks. I don't think I have ever felt as weak as I have this Spring, yet there is this pure joy I am finding in the fact that God's power is being made perfect in my weakness. He is writing my story. As the author, He is even perfecting my faith! What a mystery. What a divine mercy. To be wholly refined in His blaze of fire is not easy, but it is so satisfying. I found Psalm 46 to be so comforting this morning.

"God is our refuge and strength,an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore, we will not fear...There is a river whose streams make GLAD the city of God,the holy place where the Most High dwells.God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day...Be still, and know that I am God;I will be exalted among the nations,I will be exalted in the earth.The Lord Almighty is with us;the God of Jacob is our fortress."

Spurgeon said of verse 4,
"Divine grace, like a smoothly flowing, fertilizing, full, and never-failing river, yields refreshment and consolation to believers. This is the river of the water of life...The streams...shall make glad the city of God, by assuring the citizens that Zion's Lord will unfailingly supply all their needs. The streams are clear, cool, fresh, abundant, and gladdening. In seasons of trial all-sufficient grace will be enable us to endure to the end."

No comments: